Many people crack open the monthly issue of their favorite diet and fitness mag, read some tip on a new diet or trend, and they instantly go and try it out. Once they have finished the diet and found that it didn’t work, they go back to eating the way they always did. They are so surprised to find that they actually gain weight, but what they don’t realize is that fad dieting will actually contribute to weight gain more than anything else will.
If you are looking to have a healthy diet to lose weight, get healthy, and improve your overall physical condition, the diet to follow is actually very simple. There are a few do’s and don’ts, and you will find that the following tips will help you to follow a healthy dietary pattern when trying to eat right:
• While it may be easiest for you to fry your meat, chicken, eggs, and fish, take the time to find oil-free methods of cooking them. Eggs can be boiled, poached, or scrambled without oil, and the other proteins can be baked, broiled, grilled, or roasted. Remove the skin from poultry and the fat from meat, and you will find that the lean proteins will be the best to give you the amino acids your body needs without the fat that would cause weight gain.
• Reduce any extra fat that is unnecessary, such as butter, margarine, creamy dressings, and sour cream. These sources of extra fat may certainly make your food taste better, but they will do little to benefit your body and will actually do it harm by clogging your arteries. It is best to avoid these foods whenever possible.
• Any snacks that you eat should consist of fruits or vegetables, and you can eat nearly as much of the latter as you like. Fruits should be consumed in moderation due to the high sugar content of many fruits, but vegetables can make a great snack that you can eat at any time of the day. Rather than reaching for a bag of chips or a donut, why not reach for carrot sticks or an apple?
• Be wary when eating out, as there are many different foods and ingredients that will add fat to your food. The large sizes of the portions you are served is one thing to be wary of, as well as the dressings on the salads you order. Try to avoid ordering food that comes with white bread, and keep your orders as health-conscious as possible.
• Always check the nutrition labels on anything you are purchasing from the store. If there are ingredients that you don’t recognize, it is best to avoid buying the item. The items that you buy should all be preservative and chemical free, and should be as natural as possible.
• Be wary when drinking. Alcohol is high in sugar and fat both, and should be consumed in moderation. Soda and juices are also high in sugar, and even low- or no-fat juices and drinks should be avoided. Only drink juice that is 100% natural, and water is the best thing that you can drink.